Sunday, June 13, 2010

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Finally some chocolate!!! Yum yum!!!

This recipe from Chef Michael Smith's television show called Chef at Home. As the name says, they are CHEWY chocolate chip cookies, and boy are they ever!

Previous times I've made chocolate chip cookies, they turned out hard and crispy, and my husband has always said that he prefers them soft and chewy. So recently, when I decided to make chocolate chip cookies again, I told myself I would try to find a recipe for a chewy cookie. So when I stumbled upon this Michael Smith recipe, I got very excited because every other recipe I've made by Michael Smith has turned out really well and this was no exception.

On the site where I got the recipe, there's a small video explaining how to make it with some interesting tips. One of the tips was that instead of melting butter and mixing it in, you put in cold butter and cream it with the brown sugar. According to Michael, this creates air bubbles which make the cookie light and fluffy. Also, using white sugar makes the cookie hard he says, so that is why he uses brown sugar.

The mixture of creaming the brown sugar and butter looks like this:



Separately, I mixed all the dry ingredients together:



Once the brown sugar and butter were creamed together, I added the egg, vanilla and honey (instead of corn syrup). Then once the wet and dry ingredients were combined together, it resulted as follows:



I then added the chocolate chips, however, I used MINT chocolate chips, which is my husband's favorite chocolate combination.



At this stage, the batter looked so homogeneous and soft that I was thinking mmmmm these are gonna turn out great!

Then, I spooned the batter onto a baking sheet and put it in the oven:



The result, freshly baked cookies!!!



And Michael Smith didn't lie, they were indeed very soft and chewy!

P.S. My husband is the one who did all the work in this recipe, I just guided him. So essentially, he is the one who made these wonderful cookies. Congratulations to him!!!

If interested, here is a link to the recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, chocolate chip mint cookies *drool*

    ReplyDelete