Sunday, February 14, 2010

Lottie's Biscotti

Today was my attempt at making Lottie's Biscotti.

As per the link above, this was a recipe from the Kosher Foodies. It is chocolate chip and almond biscotti, yum yum!

First off, I roasted the almonds for a few mins. I roasted them in a pan for about 5-10 mins until they browned a bit.


Secondly, I mixed all the dry ingredients together.


The next step was to mix in a food processor 1 cup of almonds and 1 cup of dry mixture until a fine powder results. This was my first use of my new Cuisinart food processor, which I purchased about a week ago. To process the mixture took 5 seconds! Whoa!


Once the processing was complete, I combined the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and mixed in the powder as well. The dough is formed as follows:



Once the dough is formed, I shaped it into 2 logs and baked it for about 40 mins.

(The first picture is before the baking and the second picture is after)

Once they finished baking, the recipe instructed to let it cool and then cut it into pieces, then bake the pieces for an additional 25-30 mins. In this part, we let it cool a little too long which made it hard to cut. This is because we decided to go out for lunch and then cut it up and do the second baking after we got back.
That was not the smartest decision: as a result of it cooling completely, the biscotti became really hard and crumbly, and made it more difficult to cut. If we would have cut it before it became too cool, it would have been softer and easier to cut. At least now we know for next time.

After cutting it up and the second baking for a half hour, this was the end result:


Even though we made the mistake of letting it cool too much before cutting it, they taste amazing! I could not have expected them to come out any better taste-wise. However, in the next attempt, the shape will definitely be better as I know now not to leave it in the middle and let it cool completely.

Note: even though this post has more "I"s than "we"s, I just wanted to mention that my husband helped me throughout the process. He is a great help whenever I need it!!!

2 comments: