Friday, February 5, 2010

The Host Indian Cuisine

Winterlicious is here in Toronto until February 12th. During Winterlicious, restaurants offer 3 course meals for a fixed price, which varies depending on the restaurant. The first restaurant we decided to visit was The Host, the downtown location in Yorkville.

First impression was that the menu had quite a bit to offer considering most restaurants offer limited menus for Winterlicious. When we first walked in (my husband and I), the decor was really nice and the staff were well-dressed and friendly. In short, the first impression was pretty good.

After we sat down, the waiter took our order pretty quickly, and our appetizers came within minutes. My husband had Mulligatawny soup and I had Samosas. The samosas were extremely small compared to other Indian restaurants I've been to, so I was quite disappointed. The soup, however, was quite good.
From this point forward, we played the waiting game. We were waiting minimum 20 mins (which felt a lot longer) for the entrees. My husband had Butter Chicken with Rice and Mixed Vegetables, and I had Chicken Vindaloo (very spicy) with Rice and Mixed Vegetables. Both meals were quite tasty, and mine was spicier than I anticipated, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Once we finished our meals, it took them another 20 to 30 minutes to bring out the desserts. Both of us had Rasmalai which is goat cheese with sweetened milk. This was really tasty, so no complaints there.

Overall, this restaurant was very good, but the service was slow. I would definitely like to try it again with the regular menu to see what normal portions would be like. Winterlicious portions tend to be a bit smaller since they serve 3 courses at a lesser price.

Here is a link to their website: http://www.welcometohost.com

If you're a fan of Indian cuisine, this restaurant is definitely worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment